1. Robert De Niro lived in Sicily (the largest island in the Mediterranean) for three months to prepare for his role.
2. There are only two actors who win separate Oscars for playing the same character. They are Marlon Brando who won best actor for The Godfather (1972) and Robert De Niro won Best Supporting Actor for The Godfather II for the role of Vito Corleone.
3. When the actors shoot flashback scenes they wore zipper pants. One musician noticed that at that time zipper was not invented. So the actors had to be re-shot some scene with button-fly trousers.
4. The Godfather II was the first sequel to win the Academy Awards for Best Picture. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) was the second movie.
5. Francis Ford Coppola had some problems directing The Godfather in 1972 and denied to direct the sequel. But after some time Coppola agreed to direct the sequel.
6. Talia Shire got only $1,500 for playing the role of Connie in The Godfather (1972) and she got $ 30,000 with a bonus of $ 10,000.
7. This sequel was completed in 104 days.
8. James Caan demanded for the same amount of money for playing the role of Sonny Corleone in the flashback at the end of film as he received to do The Godfather.
9. “Senza Mamma” The musical play played in the film was actually composed by by Francis Ford Coppola’s grandfather, Francesco Pennino.
10. Francis Ford Coppola wanted De Niro to do a major role in this movie after seeing his perfomance in Mean Streets (1973).